Monday, December 1, 2014

Race #1: Sunset 6/12/24 Hour Endurance Run

I've found the cure for the post-Thanksgiving lethargy and belly bloat.  It involves a really long drive to Arkansas, a few uncomfortable hours of running and walking, but when you're done you will absolutely feel like a million bucks.  Or is it that you'll feel like a million bucks just trompled all over you?

This past weekend I kicked off my year-long fundraising journey by competing in the Sunset 6/12/24 Hour Endurance Race.  It's held in Benton, AR (a suburb of Little Rock) and is put on by the Saline County Striders. It is probably one of my absolute favorite races that I've done in the 10 years I've been running. I have really grown to love small, intimate races where you really get a chance to interact with and get to know your fellow racers. I've also really grown to love long endurance events where you spend a lot of time running in circles with a group of people. There's something so special about the camaraderie you develop in races like these. It's something you just don't get to experience at big marathons and venues. They, too, have their place in my life, but if given the chance I will always choose a small race over a big one hands down.

The Sunset Lake race was just fantastic. The loop is a 1.015 mile paved loop around the lake. The setting is gorgeous, and the course is varied just enough that it's not hilly, but not entirely flat, either. We started the 24 hour event at 7:30 pm on Friday night.  Interestingly enough, the event was started 4 years ago because 2 club members wanted to achieve a couple of lofty goals: one wanted to run his birthday years in miles (70 that year), and another wanted to run 100 miles.  The club put together this little event and a few people showed up to run with friends. It's grown, and gotten better, every year since.  The club puts on this event for free.
You heard me:  FOR FREE.
Participants don't have to pay a thing (normally a 24 hour race will cost at least $125-175).  They just want to do something great for the runners in their community. How amazing is that???

I arrived in Benton about 5:00 and headed directly to the race site. I tried to take a nap, but had too much nervous energy to rest. At 6:30 I climbed into the back of the FJ and started getting ready. By 7:30 we were lined up and ready to go. There were about 12 of us doing the 24 hour event. We set off on our adventures with excitement and fast feet. I met a number of runners throughout the night. Some were putting in major miles, some were out there just to challenge themselves, some were doing a 24 hour race for the first time, and others were just out there to have some fun.
You heard me:  FUN.

sunset at Sunset Lake

My goal was to make it at least 50 miles with no blisters and no tears. I accomplished that goal in 15 hours flat (well, 15 hours and 44 seconds to be exact). :)  I had so much fun.  I didn't have the real low lows that I often have in super long races which was really nice for a change. I really felt pretty darn good and chipper the whole time. I never once wanted to quit or felt myself hitting "the wall" that so often happens in endurance races. I did start to feel a little tired around sunsrise, but that quickly went away once the 6 and 12 hour racers started at 7:30 am.


For the first 20 miles I did run/walk intervals, but after mile 20 it was all walking. Sometimes I'd run for 15-20 seconds just to use different muscles, but it was mostly brisk walking. After about 10 hours my stomach starts to shut down, and this race was no exception. My stomach gave up around mile 30, and I was having some tummy issues which led to frequent visits to the porta potty about every other loop. It's all just part of the game.

I've never made it all the way through the night at a 24 hour even to watch the sun coming up.  With this race starting at 7:30 pm, I knew I would make it through the darkness to watch the sun rise.  It did and it was glorious.  Something about the sun coming up that renews your spirit.
that beautiful sunrise at the lake

At 10:30 am I hit my mileage goal and decided to stop. If I had felt better I may have pushed on to try for 100km, but the sun had come out by then, the temps were really getting hot, and the wind had picked up, so I happily turned it in and stopped. I took a hobo bath in the car and began the long drive home. The drive is about 5.5 hours, but it took me almost 8 to get home. I had to stop about every hour to get out of the car and move, and to close my eyes for a little catnap (at that point I had been awake for over 36 hours).  I arrived home and promptly jumped into bed for a long tiger snooze.

My first race of the year is in the books and it was a success!  Next up is the HoHo Marathon on December 14th here in OKC.
Race #1:  done!!  50.18 miles


Peace and Running! :)

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Congrats on finishing the first race. I admire what you are doing during this year. I have done fundraising/training programs with both the Crohns and Colittis Foundation, and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It gives great meaning to the racing I love to do anyway! Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Carol! It makes running about more than me. I have only raised $40 so far, but it's just the beginning. :)

      Delete